Sunday, December 4, 2011

Frozen combat: Process work

I'm starting another CG paining, and it all starts with process work- getting the foundations solid before pen work begins.

I start with a perspective grid that's pretty far off the final size of the page. If the grid is too close to each other then the angles will look weird.


Next we start with some compositional elements. I love the Rule of Thirds and the Golden Rectangle, so I put those in. This will help attract the eye to the right place in the piece without it seeming forced. Because I already have an idea of what I want to do, this is an informed choice. I put in some basic geometry to represent the ice flows this will take part on.


Now we add the combatants, both good and bad. Body flow works up as a triangle toward the top of the page, and the figures flow about the page, matching the compositional lines as shown above.


 Finally some atmospherics and the feeling of the piece starts to take shape.


More soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment